Legalization of Recreational Cannabis – Parent Info Sheet
You may be concerned about the impact the legalization of cannabis may have on our schools. The following information and resources will help you to understand how Trillium Lakelands District School Board is addressing the new cannabis legislation.
Recreational cannabis is not to be used, possessed, bought, or cultivated by individuals under the age of 19
All existing rules about recreational cannabis use by students remain in effect.
- While cannabis is no longer classed as an illegal substance, possession is still illegal for students under the age of 19;
- Students may not vape, smoke, buy, sell, or be under the influence of recreational cannabis on school property;
- The TLDSB Code of Conduct will apply for the use, possession, purchase, selling, or being under the influence of recreational cannabis during the school day.
Recreational cannabis is not to be used by TLDSB staff or members of the public on or near school property
The Ontario government prohibits cannabis consumption at schools and places where students gather.
- Smoking or vaping cannabis will not be permitted for any member of the school community at school, on school grounds, and all public areas within 20 metres of these grounds;
- The TLDSB Smoke-Free Environment Procedure has guidelines in place in accordance with Ontario Bill 174: Ontario Cannabis Act 2017, Ontario Cannabis Retail Corporation Act, 2017, Smoke Free Ontario Act, 2017.
Ministry of Education – information and helpful links related to the legalization of recreational cannabis: http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/healthyschools/parents-resources.html
Government of Ontario – Information and rules around legalization of cannabis: https://www.ontario.ca/page/cannabis-legalization
Simcoe County District Health Unit – information on the health impacts of cannabis use: https://www.simcoemuskokahealth.org/Topics/Drugs/Marijuana.aspx