Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR)
Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) for Mature Students provides a quicker way for adults to acquire credits towards a high school diploma. Through PLAR, you may get credits towards your high school diploma through a formal evaluation and assessments. PLAR Assessment process looks at your life and work experiences since leaving high school and can award you credit for that experience, as well as grant equivalent credits for successful completion of assessments.
What Schooling and Experiences can I get Credits For?
You can get credits for learning and skills you have acquired at school, at home, at work, in training programs, and volunteer work. This applies to schooling, work experiences you have from outside of Ontario and Canada, as well as in the province.
Registration for PLAR runs from September to June of each year. To be eligible for PLAR, students must be:
- Turning 18 years old on or after January 1st of the school year; and
- Enrolled in a secondary school credit program for the purpose of obtaining an OSSD.
There are three options to register for PLAR Credits:
- Call Your Local AAEC Centre to set up an appointment;
- Walk-In Registrations. Our continuous intake process means that you can register at any time!
- Fill out the Online Registration Form and a representative will be in touch with you.
What You’ll Need
Bring the following paperwork and documentation:
- Proof of Citizenship (i.e. Canadian Birth Certificate, Canadian Passport, Canadian Citizenship Card, etc.)
- Photo Identification (Driver’s License, Health Card, etc.)
- $25 Student Activity Fee
- Original Transcript From Your Previous School. We can help you get a copy if you are unable!