Personal Support Worker
The Personal Support Worker (PSW) program is for students who are interested in entering the health care field and designed to prepare individuals to provide health care in community settings and long-term care facilities.
The Personal Support Worker (PSW) program that is offered at the Lindsay Adult & Alternate Education Centre follows all recognized provincial standards to provide training and accreditation to aspiring Personal Support Worker (PSW) students.
The Personal Support Worker (PSW) Program at the Lindsay Adult & Alternate Education Centre and includes classroom theory and on-the-job training.
- In-class theory: Fist twelve weeks of program (Monday to Friday – 9am to 3pm)
- Supervised Long-Term Care Placement: Two week duration (6am to 2pm)
- Community Placement (Shiftwork including days, evenings, and weekends to total 270 hours)
All accepted applicants to the Personal Support Worker (PSW) Program are also eligible to earn six senior credits toward their Ontario Secondary School Diploma. Upon successful completion of the program, applicants will also be certified as a qualified Personal Support Worker.
All applicants must:
- Be 18 years of age at the start of Supervised Long-Term Placement;
- Complete the PSW Application Form and submit the form at the Lindsay Adult & Alternate Education Centre;
- Complete a Literacy Assessment (approximately 45 minutes);
Must provide copies of the following documentation at time of submitting application:
- Proof of Canadian Citizenship (i.e. Birth Certificate, Passport etc.)
- Proof of Residency (i.e. Utility Bill or Tax Bill that must contain your home address)
- Ontario Secondary School Transcript (if you do not have a copy, we can help you obtain one); and
- Provide a reference from an employer, volunteer position, or former teacher.
Once an applicant has submitted their PSW Application Form and completed the Literacy Assessment, applications will be reviewed and they will be notified for a potential interview with our PSW Instructor.
After interviews, successful applicants will then be required to complete a registration form and pay a $175.00 non-refundable deposit to secure their registration spot, which will be deducted from the total program cost.
Students will then need to obtain and provide proof of the following:
- Clean Police Record Check
- Vulnerable Sector Check
- Negative 2-step mantoux (tuberculosis) test (or clear chest x-ray)
- Hepatitis B (2 of 3 shots recommended)
- Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis, measles, mumps and rubella, and varicella
- Influenza vaccine (flu shot) (in season) or Tamiflu
Upon successful completion of the PSW Program, students will receive a Personal Support Worker Certificate.
The total cost of the Personal Support Worker (PSW) program is $1750.00 and is due by the first day of classes. Please be advised that there are no full or partial refunds.
Course Fees of $1450.00 includes:
- CPR/First Aid certification
- Safe Food Handling Certificate
- Achieva Lift and Mobility Training Certificate
- G.P.A (Gentle Persuasive Approach)
- PSW Certificate
Material Fees of $300.00:
- 2 Uniforms
- Identification badge