Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR)
Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) for Mature Students provides a quicker way for adults to acquire credits towards a high school diploma. Through PLAR, you may get credits towards your high school diploma through a formal evaluation and assessments. PLAR Assessment process looks at your life and work experiences since leaving high school and can award you credit for that experience, as well as grant equivalent credits for successful completion of assessments.
What Schooling and Experiences can I get Credits For?
You can get credits for learning and skills you have acquired at school, at home, at work, in training programs, and volunteer work. This applies to schooling, work experiences you have from outside of Ontario and Canada, as well as in the province.
Registration for PLAR runs from September to June of each year. To be eligible for PLAR, students must:
- Be at least 18 years old on or before December 31 of the school year;
- Enrolled in a secondary school credit program for the purpose of obtaining an OSSD; and
- Have been out of school for a period of at least one year before returning as an adult
There are three options to register for Maturity Credits:
- Call Your Local AAEC Centre to set up an appointment;
- Walk-In Registrations. Our continuous intake process means that you can register at any time!
- Fill out the Online Registration Questionnaire and a representative will bein touch with you to set up a Registration appointment.
What You’ll Need
Bring the following paperwork and documentation:
- Proof of Citizenship (i.e. Canadian Birth Certificate, Canadian Passport, Canadian Citizenship Card, etc.)
- Photo Identification (Driver’s License, Health Card, etc.)
- $25 Student Activity Fee
- Original Transcript From Your Previous School. We can help you get a copy if you are unable!