PLAR – Where Your Life Experiences Count
Continuous entry throughout the school year.
Call to book an appointment or drop into any AETC Centre to speak with a counsellor.
- At least 18 years old on or before December 31 of the school year;
- Is enrolled in a secondary school credit program for the purpose of obtaining an OSSD; and
- Has been out of school for a period of at least one year before returning as an adult.
Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) for Mature Students provides a quicker way for adults to acquire credits towards a high school diploma. Through PLAR, you may get credits towards your high school diploma through a formal evaluation and assessments. PLAR Assessment process looks at your life and work experiences since leaving high school and can award you credit for that experience, as well as grant equivalent credits for successful completion of assessments.
What Schooling and Experiences can I get Credits For?
You can get credits for learning and skills you have acquired at school, at home, at work, in training programs, and volunteer work. This applies to schooling, work experiences you have from outside of Ontario and Canada, as well as in the province.
What You’ll Need
- Official high school transcript (contact your former school if you do not have it)
- Photo ID
- Proof of Ontario residency
- Immigration Documentation (for landed immigrants or refugees)