Frequently Asked Questions2018-07-24T09:26:26-04:00

Frequently Asked Questions

The Adult & Alternate Education Centre offers senior secondary school credits (Grades 11 & 12) at the workplace and college levels. Junior credit (Grade 9 & 10) offerings are only offered in certain circumstances. Students can earn credits in six week blocks through Day School, Co-operative Education, Online Courses and the Return, Earn & Learn program. Credits can also be granted for Mature students through the PLAR program. Other high school credit programs include Dual Credits, Night School and Summer School.

Yes, the Adult & Alternate Education Centre offers both. Students are able to choose if they would like to take your courses in-class or through online courses.  Both in-class and online courses are offered in six week blocks and are supported by a teacher.

The Adult & Alternate Education Centre operates from September to June. Courses run on six week blocks with a total of six sessions throughout the year with the first session starting in September. The sixth session starts in May and runs until the end of June. Students are eligible to earn a credit per every six week session.

Day School classes run Monday to Fridays, mornings only. In the City of Kawartha Lakes, classes start at 8:30am and run until 12:30pm. In Haliburton County and the District of Muskoka, classes start at 9:00am and run until 1:00pm.

Registration is held at the beginning of each block (September, October, December, February, March and May). However, our Co-operative Education and Return, Earn & Learn (REAL) Program offer continuous intake, so students can start anytime.

The  Day School courses offered a the Adult & Alternate Education Centre will take approximately 6 weeks to finish a credit course. For Co-operative Education, students are required to work 110 hours to earn 1 credit, plus additional in-class preparation.

Students at the Adult & Alternate Education Centre have a couple options for those who are working full-time and can not attend Day School classes. Co-operative Education is available for students who are working full-time, and students are eligible to earn 1 credit for every 110 hours of work. Secondly, there is Night School offered once a semester at the Huntsville and Lindsay Adult & Alternate Education Centres. The only current course that is offered through Night School is Co-operative Education. There are other alternatives for students who are working full-time, and the Adult & Alternate Education Centre encourages students to come in and speak to our staff to see how we can best accommodate your needs.

There is a $25 Activity Fee that students may pay at Registration. This fee covers costs for extra-curricular activities that occur throughout the year.

At registration, students must bring a copy of their Birth Certificate, or one piece of photo identification (Driver’s License, Health Card, Passport, etc.). Students must also have a copy of their most recent high school transcript, as well as the $25 Activity Fee. If students do not have a copy of their most recent transcript, staff at the Adult & Alternate Education Centre can assist in requesting the transcript from the last high school the student attended.

No, this is not a GED program. Students who graduate from the Adult & Alternate Education Centre will receive an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).

Students at the Adult & Alternate Education Centre do not need to have any high school credits to attend. However, if students have any past high school credits, they are encouraged to bring their most current high school transcript with them at registration and staff will determine the best program for them to earn their high school diploma.

Request Information